Skip to content

Tunnel to Connect Morocco with Europe

April 17, 2012

For decades, Morocco and Spain have planned to connect Europe with Africa. Designs for bridges have all been rejected in favor of an underground tunnel, similar to the Channel Tunnel that connects England and France. The current plan includes two rail tunnels that will allow passengers to cross the Straits of Gibraltar in under 30 minutes on an underground train.

There have been years of feasibility studies and geological evaluations, and this project has been furthered postponed by strained international relationships and the global economic crises. But recently (Feb. 2012), the Spanish Ambassador to Morocco met with the Moroccan Transportation Minister and strengthened their commitment to see this ambitious project move forward.

“We’ve already done a tremendous amount of work to make this dream come true, to go from an idea — a concept that is just philosophical — into something we can transform into reality,” said Karim Ghellab, Morocco’s minister of transportation. “It’s not easy to predict a date yet, but it is a project that will happen.”

Experts have predicted that the tunnel may cost approximately 10 billion Euros and could be completed by 2025. So as we say in Morocco, “Insha’Allah” (If it is God’s will).

Read more at
Washington Post, Wikipedia, or Morocco’s Transportation Ministry site.

About these ads
20 Comments leave one →
  1. April 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

2. April 18, 2012 6:07 am

I wonder if it will really ever happen…?

• April 18, 2012 1:25 pm

The Moroccans here are skeptical and won’t believe it until they see it. It may continue to be postponed.

3. April 19, 2012 9:07 pm

WoW ! That would be fantastic, I hope they pull it off .
    I have been to Tangier, and would have loved the quick connection and it would be a great asset to Spain !

• April 19, 2012 9:08 pm

I totally agree with you. I would much prefer an underwater train to a ferry!

• April 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Don’t want it getting to popular tho !!! ;-0
        and spoiling that otherwordlyness that they have !
        so special

4. May 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Can I use it on my blog, please

5. May 21, 2012 4:06 pm

I wish it will come true. I always loved to visit Marocco. Thanks for your blog. It is great!

6. September 3, 2012 12:39 pm

Very interesting – didn’t know about it. I know Morocco would lke to formally apply to join the EU. Wonderful country.

• September 3, 2012 12:49 pm

I doubt the tunnel will ever happen because they don’t have the money. But I’d much rather drive to Morocco from Spain than take the ferry!

7. September 3, 2012 1:57 pm

Not heard of this before but I think its a great idea that will increase tourism

• September 3, 2012 2:05 pm

Oh yeah. I agree with you. I wish I could drive from Europe to Africa in 20 minutes. But I doubt it will ever happen. Economic recession is postponing it indefinitely.

8. September 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for liking my post. Very informative blog you have here. I ‘wish’ our modern economies could afford underwater tunnels and high speed trains. Soooo much money is wasted and used inefficiently.

• September 29, 2012 3:07 pm

I just heard yesterday that the money has been approved. Crazy, huh?

9. April 12, 2013 6:55 pm

This is soo cool, thanks for stopping by. I’ve always wanted to travel to Morocco-I’ll definitely be there before this tunnel is built! thanks for stopping by my post..

10. April 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Sounds like a great idea. The thought came to me… in ancient times the earth’s land mass was one piece, then the earth was divided (I wonder if it was during Peleg’s time? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peleg – Genesis 10:25…but probably not). But now are connecting again to make it easier to cover distance. Just a thought….

11. May 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Personally, I’m a little claustrophobic and on a trip thru Europe I was very relieved that the Chunnel from the UK to France was closed due to a fire the week before we arrived and our tour bus took the ferry from Dover. Interesting stuff though. Thanks for stopping at my blog too.